Friday, January 23, 2009

Archie & Friends #126



Man, can I identify with the story in Archie & Friends #126!


High school comic book cartoonist Chuck Clayton is invited to a neighboring mid-school to instruct some art students in the art of cartooning.


When he gets there he is confronted by kids who copy other people's styles, know nothing about comic book production and are intimidated by his 'professional' level of work.


I teach high school drawing. Like the students Chuck Clayton encountered, many of my students copy styles, draw only Manga, know nothing about the business and production techniques behind comic books and feel overshadowed by my art.


Like Chuck I learned to bring the art down to the students' level, to take the time to explain the 'real world' of comic book production and encourage students to create their own unique characters and stories.


I plan on sharing the 4-part series with my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment