Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Silver Age Of Comics


I love reading comic books. I’m pushing 60 years old and I still get excited when it’s time to pick up my weekly stash at the local comic book store. As much as I like ‘new’ comic books my real love is Silver Age comics.

I was born in the early 1950s and grew up in the 1960s. I remember visiting the local drug store and purchasing many of the currently most sought after Silver age comics when they were first printed. My diet of early Silver Age comics consisted mostly of DC Comics until Marvel Comics introduced the Fantastic Four, then I became a Marvel Zombie.


Other smaller publishers like Tower and Charlton jumped on the superhero band wagon and I bought most of those titles too. The Silver Age was a boom time for comic books with new concepts and storylines that made me come back for more.


I consider myself pretty knowledgeable when it comes to Silver Age comics, but, compared to the encyclopedic knowledge of author William Schoell I’m an amateur.


Mr. Shoell’s new book, The Silver Age Of Comics, published by BearManor Media is one of the most comprehensive books ever written about the Silver Age.


In the book the entire Silver Age, from start to finish, is meticulously examined with every title dissected and analyzed. However, the book is far more than a statistical compilation. The author has done an admirable job of infusing the text with life.


Readers will learn about the comic books, their creators, their publishing history and the significance of their stories. I learned a lot and readers will too after reading this impressive work. If you want to dig deep into what made the Silver Age what it was then be sure to pick up a copy of The Silver Age Of Comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment