Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Obsessed With Star Trek

Back in 1966, at the tender age of 13, I watched the very first episode (The Mantrap) broadcast of a new science fiction TV show called Star Trek. At first I wasn't sure how to take the program.  I can remember thinking that the starship Enterprise didn't 'look' like a spaceship.  After all, everyone knew that spaceships seen on TV or in movies were always of the rocket or saucer type.

Up until that point Lost In Space was my favorite sci-fi show.  I was a bit reluctant to make the switch over to 'adult' science fiction television.  I was a little set in my ways-hesitant of trying anything new.

I enjoyed The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits.  However, they weren't strictly sci-fi.

After watching a handful of episodes, I was hooked on Star Trek.  The Star Trek cast became like a second family to me and Captain Kirk was my cool father figure.  I lived and breathed Star Trek for three solid years.  I even wrote away to NBC, which aired the show, and obtained a press pack about the show from them.  I wish I still had it.  I collected everything Trek (which was no small feat), including magazine articles, comic books, toys, games, trading cards, models and other bric-a-brac.

I was devastated when the show ended in 1969 after only three short seasons.  I continued to watch the show in repeats for the next ten years.  And then suddenly Star Trek was back but on the big screen and then with four new TV shows in succession.  Enterprise ended in the mid-2000s. 

A new cast was brought back in the new Star Trek movie starring the original classic series characters albeit with different actors in the roles.  Star Trek was back big time and I couldn't have been happier.

Obsessed With Star Trek from Chronicle Books will test your knowledge of the Star Trek Universe with a series of 2,500 questions culled from the TV series and movies.  A cleverly designed electronic scoring module randomly picks a question number.  By selecting one of four buttons you choose the right or wrong answer. 

Interlaced with the questions are interesting info bits and little known facts about the Star Trek series, movies, actors and production.  Made to be used by one or two players, Obsessed With Star Trek is a 'must have' for any true Star Trek fan.  Discover if you are a 'Trekker" or 'Trekkie."

No comments:

Post a Comment