Thursday, April 26, 2012

TV, VW And GI


Call me a nostalgic old coot but I love memorabilia, especially old TV show memorabilia. That’s why I’m so fascinated and pleased by Schiffer Publishing’s new book by Dian Zillner: Collectible Television Memorabilia with Value Guide.


Suzanne Silverthorn provides the color photos for this delightful new book that lists alphabetically old TV shows, their origins and spotlighted pop culture memorabilia items ranging from toys to games and more. Talk about a walk down Memory Lane!


This is what collector dreams are made of-I wish I had a fraction of the items shown in this wonderful book.


As a Baby Boomer I was born not too long after World War II. I have vivid memories of the seeing and listening to veterans of WWII talk about their personal memories of the war. Often while visiting friends and family a Vet would pull out their old foot locker and show off various G.I. items they used or collected from the wear.


World War Iii was a time of national pride and a pulling together of both the troops and civilians. Everyone was into the war effort and we became a true nation of patriots. I loved (and still do) the many items used by the G.I., the many publication and items produced for the war for the folks who stayed at home and the various mass market consumables.


Inside you’ll see everything used by the troops from toothpaste to weapons, various publications put out during the war and so much more. Like the war itself this book is big, packed full of surprises and a treasure trove of Patriotic bric-a-brac.


Who would ever think that a car first produced by the Nazi during World War II would proliferate and create a whole new fan base of collectors and fans?


I had no idea that there is so much VW Bug memorabilia out there! Matt Meyer does and so he produced a new book called VW Beetle Toys. Inside the book you’ll see full color photos of every kind of VW Bug diecast and toy, comic books and even wooden toys. Also included is a Price Guide.