Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Catalina Island Pottery And Tile 1927 - 1937



I'm no potter.  Professionally I'm a graphic designer and 2D artist.  Asking me to tackle 3D art like sculpting and pottery is guaranteed to send me into a panic stricken swoon.
Somehow my brain refuses to wraparound the concept of 3D.  Oh sure I can make things look 3D on paper but to actually create a 3D object you might as well ask me to build the Eiffel Tower.

That's why I'm so impressed by those that can create 3D art.  

Catalina Island Pottery And Tile 1927 - 1937 are good examples.  The revised and expanded 2nd Edition book, written by Carole Coates with photos by Jeffrey Snyder and published by SchifferPublishing, contains a plethora of photos and information about that important period in American crafts.

Besides containing color photos of the various tile and pottery the book is packed with historical text, prices, advertising material and so much more.  I'm not 3D artist but I can appreciate the incredible talent it took to create such beautiful pieces of art and once looking through the book you will too.