Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Mathematics An Illustrated History Of Numbers



Mathematics has never been a strength of mine.  I barely made it through Algebra in high school.  Today if I can stumble my way through addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions and percentages I consider myself fortunate.

On the other hand my wife is a mathematics whiz.  She has the ability to figure things out in her head with numbers that is amazing.  Needless to say she does the books in our household.

Shelter Harbor Press have just released the first its new series of Ponderables books: Mathematics An Illustrated History Of Numbers, edited by Tom Jackson.

The oversize hard bound book contains a history of mathematics chronicling the 100 Breakthroughs That Changed History and Who Did What When. Colorful graphs, art, photos and charts trace mathematics back to its earliest sources and follow the progression of what many consider more an art than a science.

Numbers have always blurred the line between imagination and fact.  If you ever meet a high level mathematician you’ll soon realize that they possess endless imagination, a talent for looking past the obvious and for thinking literally ‘outside the box.’

Even though I am mathematically challenged I can’t help but be fascinated by the history of math and those who pioneered its many facets.

Included in the book are bios of great mathematicians along with a large fold-out poster of the Timeline History Of Mathematics.  

The Ponderables series of books looks promising, educational and enlightening.