Thursday, April 11, 2013

Monster, Boomer, Wars, Plastic and Animation



Hold me back!  I'm just about to geek out!  My popular culture collectibles heart is about to go into a cardiac arrest!
 
I love toys-especially old toys.  I love animation-especially old cartoons and I love nostalgia-especially from my childhood.

So it's no wonder that my nerd cells jumped into overdrive when I got the latest batch of books from Schiffer Publishing, LTD.!

As a kid one of my all-time favorite things to do was to assemble the Aurora Monster Models.  I had them all-Frankenstein, the Mummy, the Creature, the Werewolf--all of them!

The Universal Studios Monsters, Godzilla, Aliens, Predators-there's something about cinema monsters and their toy counterparts that sends chills up my spine!

Collecting monster Toys by John Marshall (that includes a Price Guide) has more monster merchandise than you can shake a dismembered limb at!

From Aliens to Japanese Monsters this book has each and every Monster toy that collectors are clamoring for!  Each is pictured in full color and includes detailed historical and cinema information.  It's 'scary' as to how much is contained within this book.

I'm a Baby Boomer and like any Baby Boomer I was the first generation inundated with commercial and product related toys and kids playthings.  It was my generation that started the whole merchandising craze for kids.

As a kid I was up on the latest toy craze from Hot Wheels to Hanna-Barbera animated TV show characters.
Baby Boomer Toys and Collectibles by Carol Turpen offers readers a colorful trip down Memory Lane with photos of all the toys and kids stuff Baby Boomers 'just gotta have!"  There's even an Updated Values Guide in this Second Edition book.

Even though Star Wars toys haven't been around that long (relatively speaking) there can be no doubt that Star Wars toy collectors abound.

Jeffrey B. Snyder's Collecting Star Wars Toys 1977-Present: An Unauthorized Practical Guide with Prices is an invaluable guide to all things Star Wars toys related.

Beginning with the classic Trilogy, the book follows the progression of Star Wars toys through all six movies and even the lean years.  Figures, vehicles, playsets, weapons photos and more fill the book and make for a visual treat for any Star Wars fan.

As I mentioned earlier I am a Baby Boomer.  One of the neat things about being a child in the 1950s and to some extent in the1960s was going to the local Five and Dime Store and checking out all the cool nickel and dime toys in the toy section.

For a kid on a budget Plastic Toys were a treasure and a bargain.  A little bit more money and even cooler toys could be purchased.

No matter the genre of toys you enjoyed: Western, Sci-fi, Monster, etc., you were sure to find them in the Five and Dimes.
Plastic Toys: Dimestore Dreams Of The '40s & '50s (with Price Guide) by Bill Hanlon (with photos by David Belda) recaptures that wonderful childhood experience.  

Every conceivable type of toy is shown along with their packages and accompanied by informative text and historical information.  Oh, to be a kid again!

It used to be that movies also included animation shorts.  Every movie studio included them with their latest cinematic releases.  To me they were the highlight of going to the movies.  Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse, Woody Woodpecker-I loved them all.

Who would ever of thought that the cartoons I enjoyed as a kid would become so popular today-not as cartoons-but for cell art and backgrounds used to create them.

Animation art can bring in big bucks and Jeff Lotman's new book: Animation Art: The Early Years 1911-1953 offers a full Visual Reference for Collectors, along with what you can expect to pay for each piece.

Cell art if broken down by studio, character, cartoon and full-length film.  You'll spend literally hours pouring over this beautiful art-and it may even inspire you to buy some!