Tuesday, October 22, 2013

12 Hole Tenor Ocarina "The Hobbit"



“What is an Ocarina?” you ask.  To tell you the truth I wasn’t sure myself until STL Ocarina presented me with a sample.  Simply put, an Ocarina is a small, handheld, porcelain, musical instrument perforated with holes.  Think of it as compact flute.

I don’t pretend to be a musician.  As the saying goes, “I can’t play a radio.” But I can appreciate a fine piece of artwork, albeit a musical instrument.


STL Ocarina has just released a new set of Ocarina’s inspired by The Hobbit films.  The sample I received is about 5 to 6 inches in length, has 12 holes, scroll decoration on a light green base color, a gold strip around its short mouthpiece and a deep brown cord for keeping the instrument secure in your hand and for securing to your person.


The Hobbit Ocarina is tuned in the key of C Major, with a pitch range of 13 notes. It also has the capability of performing sharps and flats.


Be sure to pick up a copy STL Ocarina’s ‘The Art of Ocarina” Beginner’s Guide Volume 1 for C-Major 12 Hole Ocarina.  A demonstration CD is also included. Lessons take you through 50 songs.  


I’m excited!  I can’t wait to get started on my lessons.  I suddenly feel confident I can master the Ocarina and that’s quite a boast for a person who can’t hold a tune in a bucket.