Friday, August 8, 2014

Star Wars Storyboards The Original Trilogy



Ask anyone that I know and they'll tell you, "Boyce loves the original Star Wars Trilogy."
I don't particularly care for the new Trilogy.  But, for those of you who do, "More power to you and to each his own."

I recall when I was working at the University of Miami's bookstore I saw the very first issue of Starlog magazine.  In it was a single conceptually drawing of a Tie Fighter Pilot as viewed from over his shoulder.  I was immediately struck by the uniqueness of the image and so I read the short piece of text that accompanied it.  

IIt mentioned a new movie: Star Wars, written and directed by George Lucas-the same guy who made American Graphitti.

Being a huge science fiction fan I readied myself for the film expecting the usual space opera.  Boy! Was I ever wrong!  Star Wars changed the face of sci-fi films (and the film industry in genral) for ever.

As much as I likeed the film I loved looking at the conceptual art and miniatures associated with it.  I owned all three original Star Wars art books with illustrations (among other) by Ralph McQuarrie.

Abrams Books presents the Star Wars Storyboards The Original Trilogy  hardbound book edited by J. W. Rinzler, with foreword by Joe Johnston and introduction by Nilo Rodis-Jamero.
The book contains the complete storyboards for all three of the original Trilogy Star Wars films including: A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.



What a great way to see the inner workings of the classic films.  Scene-by-scene breakdowns, camera angles, and accompanying text explaining each sequence are not only a great treat for Star Wars fans but for anyone interested in film making.