Thursday, July 23, 2015

Memories

In case you haven't noticed I like to write about Pop Culture items-specifically reviews of such items.  I've always been fascinated about the collectibles and stuff each new decade brings.

I was born in 1953 so my most fondest memories come from the 1960s and early 1970s.

As a child I was introduced to comic books at an early age and I must admit I'm a sucker for comics from the 1960s and 1970s.  The Fantastic Four, The X-Men, Batman, Superman, Spider-man, Green Lantern, Magnus Robot Fighter, The THUNDER Agents-the entire range of superhero (primarily) comics from that era.

Although I had older half brothers I was pretty much raised as an only child.  By the time I was five all of my brothers were married, moved away from home and started their own families.

I stayed to myself a lot and comic books, old TV shows, movies and other Pop Culture phenomenon and paraphernalia became my best friends.

I already mentioned comic books-they were my first love.  But TV came in second.

I loved shows like The Man From UNCLE, The Wild, Wild West, Mission Impossible, Star Trek, Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, The time Tunnel, Land OF the Giants and Lost In Space, My favorite TV Westerns were The Rifleman, Cheyenne, Bat Masterson, Maverick, Gunsmoke, etc.  Perry Mason, Cannon, Mannix, The Rat Patrol, Combat, Batman and The Green Hornet were also favorites. 

Any movie featuring aliens and monsters suited me just fine.  Mysterious Island, The Time Machine, Journey To The Center Of The Earth, First Men In The Moon, War Of The Worlds, 2001, The Andromeda Strain, West World, Planet Of The Apes, James Bond, The Haunting, Jaws, Close Encounters Of the Third Kind-the list goes on and on.

I collected all things Star Trek.  I even had the original Leaf Star Trek trading cards.  I had The Man From Uncle attach case, James Bond's Aston Martin, The Lost In Space model kits, ship and military model kits, toy soldiers and so much more.

Like most kids of that era I had a pocket knife, a BB Gun, a slingshot and Click Clacks, Silly Putty, a Frisbee, a Slinky, a Hula Hoop, cap guns, a transistor radio, a record player and stereo, lots of 45s, a banana seat bike and a school jacket.

As a kid a frequented the local Mom and Pop store where I bought wax lips and mustaches, Dots on paper strips, Grape Nehi, Pepsi, Fizzies and a wide assortment of penny candy.

My friends and I would get together and play with our G. I Joes, listen to The Beatles- gradually moving on to Led Zeppelin, Crosby, Stills and Nash, The Doobie Brothers, James Taylor, Carol King and other singer/songwriters.

I wore love beads, headbands, flared bell-bottoms, laced boots and my hair long. 

I knew every alley and nook and cranny in my small hometown.  My first car was a '63 Ford Fairlane that I bought used for $100. 

So many memories and good times.  There was no internet, no cable TV, no multiplex movie theaters, no video games, no CDs or DVDs, no cell phones and no fear of going out at night and being hurt or killed.

We were mischievous, not criminal.  God, country and Mom's apple pie still prevailed. Adults were still respected.  Authority figures were obeyed and family was everything.

It was a different time and I believe a better time. 


I'd like to thank the folks at Man Crates for inspiring me to write about things and places I loved from the past.  Check out their website for really cool merchandise they put together that make great gifts.