Wednesday, February 3, 2016

2016: The End

It looks like the end is near.

Over the past 24 years I've written and hosted a website, blog and print publication that contain reviews of pop culture collectibles.

During the last ten years I've watched my supply of review material dwindle to practically nothing.

At one time I could count on a plethora of toys, model kits, trading cards, comic books, anime, manga, games, video games, sports memorabilia, magazines, books, DVDs, diecast and other assorted items arriving on a regular basis.

As it stand snow I'm lucky if some books, DVDs, toys, model kits and occasional magazines show up sporadically.

Needless to say, the lack of material has seriously curtailed my amount of reviews.

I've been expecting it.

With the advent of the internet, the proliferation of social media sites and the cutback on sending out review samples by manufacturers and publishers it makes sense that the glory days of writing reviews from samples has almost come to an end.

Nowadays many businesses want to supply PDFs or photos of their products and expect reviews.  Many require huge numbers of readers to even qualify for samples and yet others only want video reviews.

I hate to see the decline in review samples.  Truthfully I don't have the kind of money it takes to buy a lot of items.  And even if I did, why should I give companies free advertisement for their products and not expect anything in return?

Times are changing and like it or not I have to change with them.  I don't know how much longer my website will hold out.  I'll continue doing my blog as I can always write editorials.

Whatever the outcome, I put it all in God's hands.  After all, if it wasn't for him I never would have received anything anyway. 

I look at it this way: if God wants me to proceed, then it's up to him to provide what I need.  He's never let me down before and he won't now.


Whatever happens, I know it's for the best.  It's been a good run. God willing the race isn't over yet.