Monday, August 22, 2016

The Herculoids and iZOMBiE

I was born in the mid-1950s but most of my childhood and young teenage years were spent in the 1960s.

As the youngest of four sons, I was pretty much was an only child since all of my siblings were gone and married by the time I was six.

This meant I had a lot of time by myself on my hands.  My Mom (who raised me) pretty much left me alone to my own devices.  This meant I tended to entertain myself.

Kids Saturday morning cartoon TV shows were pretty much in their heyday and being an All-American kid, I, like so many other kids my age, loved watching them.

My favorites tended to be series put out by the Hanna-Barbera Studio who were responsible for such series as The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Huckleberry Hound, Tom and Jerry and dozens of other cartoon shorts and TV series.

When the superhero craze hit in the mid-1960s Hanna-Barbera was quick to jump on the bandwagon and was soon producing several outstanding superhero animated TV series.
One of my all-time favorites was The Herculoids.

Taking place on a distant planet The Herculoids consisted of Zandor and his wife and son accompanied by Tundro- a hybrid rhino, Gloop and Gleep-two protoplasmic shape-changers, Zor-a dragon and the rock ape Igoo.

Together they protected their utopian planet from space invaders, despots and other planetary and interplanetary threats.

Each exciting episode is included in Warner Bros.' The Complete The Herculoids Classic Collection DVD Set.  

For a completely different type of 'superhero' TV series be sure to check out The Complete First Season and Second Season Blu-rays iZOMBiE collection.

Olivia 'Liv' Moore is your typical Millennial-ambitious, young and full of life.  Until, she gets turned into a zombie!

Lingering between life and death Liv abandons her friends, calls off her engagement and moves away from home.

As a medical assistant in a city morgue Liv survives on the only thing that staves off her zombie flesh-eating tendencies-eating recently deceased corpse's brains.

Unfortunately there is a serious side-effect-Liv get glimpses of the memories of the deceased-including how they died or were murdered.

Encouraged by her boss, she uses her unique ability to help solve crimes.

Along the way she tangles with other 'undead', monsters and terrifying supernatural and all too human killers.

For a truly unique take on the detective genre combined with the macabre check out iZOMBiE.  Here's an important suggestion.  Never try to hide a murder from a mind-reading zombie-your crime will be found out-it's a 'dead' give away!


Blu-ray extras include featurettes, deleted scenes and more.