Monday, January 30, 2017

What Do You Do When Your Dreams Fail To Come True—For Now?


I’ve always been a dreamer.  For my entire life I’ve always had huge aspirations and plans.
 
When I was young I dreamed of being a super spy, a superhero, a starship captain and an intrepid explorer.


I dreamed of traveling to the stars, visiting wild and exotic places, accomplishing great heroic deeds and taking my place in the history books.


Alas, none of these things came true.  


The nearest I came to any of these things was to read about such exploits in books, comic books, watching them on TV or going to the movies.


As I grew older I realized that accomplishing one’s dreams takes a lot of hard work.


I’ve never considered myself a particularly smart person, I barely squeaked by in high school and I somehow managed to graduate college with a 3.5 GPA.  Go figure.


Once out of school a series of bad decisions, personal and family problems and lack of funds curtailed most of my dreams.  Still, I was not discouraged.



Miraculously I met and married the girl of my dreams, fathered two great kids, maintained a decent vocation in graphic design where I made a decent living, but nothing spectacular, and somehow managed to survive relatively sane.


Still, in the back of my mind, tucked away in a secret corner were my dreams.  I still clung onto them.  I suppose that stands true for everyone-some small part of every person’s mind still latches onto a childhood dreams.


In a small part fragments of my dreams have been accomplished.  While I never became and explorer or hero I did manage to find comfort and some sense of accomplishment in my hobbies, vocation and family.


My dreams allowed me to imagine great tales of adventure and intrigue and put them down on paper and in art and to my kids I was a superhero rescuing them from imaginary monsters and threats.


Now that I’ve retired my dreams have drastically changed.


Traipsing around the globe looking for adventure, fighting off dastardly bad guys and putting my life on the line seem much too dangerous and require me to step out of my comfort zone.

Still dreams are dreams.


Today my dreams include seeing my family safe, saved and added to with grandchildren.

Typing away on my keyboard is an adventure to me as various publishers and manufacturers send me material to review.


Sadly review samples are dwindling and I find myself wishing for more.  I deeply desire to find old toys and comic books, sell of the overflow of articles in my personal collection and (hopefully) see my various writing and drawing projects grab someone’s attention and blossom to written, published or film fruition.


For years I looked forward to retirement only to discover that many of the things I enjoyed or wished for in my youth seem distant, fruitless and worth little of my time.


Age does change you and I’ve changed.


One thing however has not changed: the ability to dream and dream big.

I’m not ready for the grave yet-there’s still so much to see and do and with God’s grace, guidance and generosity I hope to accomplish many more things.   

And who knows?  Maybe some of my dreams will still come true or be replaced by even better dreams.