Thursday, February 2, 2017

Arras and Hellcat





I’ve never claimed to be the best model maker.  In fact, up until recently I made very few models-mainly because of lack of time.

Now that I’ve retired I thought I’d try my hand at putting together some models.  I admit I’m a little rusty

Recently Italeri sent me two model kits to review.

I decided to take the plunge and start out slow by assembling the M18 Hellcat at 1/56 Scale and part of the Warlord Games series.

Upon opening the box the first thing I looked at were the instructions.  They were concise, to the point and easy-to-follow.  

Using a small set of snippet scissors, X-actor knife and tweezers I detached the pieces that I needed and was careful to select the correct numbers as indicative on the part trees.

Wheels and treads went together without a hitch and with a little finagling (small parts, big hands) I began assembling the turret and gun.  

The rest of the model assembled fairly easily since it consisted mainly of add-ons and surface details.

As you can see by the photographs the partially assembled tank matched the instruction sheet illustrations.  Easy peezy!

One thing I failed to do was select the proper paints for the model as the standard off the shelf acrylic model paints do not match precisely the Italeri model colors.

Still I proceeded without paints and I slowly gained confidence as I detached the parts, trimmed the excess flashing and carefully assembled the parts with tweezers.

I’ve not completed the model as of yet, I have a few more pieces to put together and the decals to apply but so far-so good.

Overall the model-making process has been pleasant and surprisingly a lot of fun.

Over the last couple of months I’ve met some fellow model makers.  I am so jealous of their talent-especially when it comes to detailing and making dioramas.

I hope to persuade a few of them to assemble a few of the models I will provide them to get their perspectives.

As the saying goes, “You’re never too young to learn.”  I hope to learn from the expertise.
I mentioned that I started out small with the Hellcat.

Italeri was kind enough to send another ‘larger’ model and it’s a doozy!

The 1/72 Scale BattleSet Battle Of Arras Rommel’s Offensive 1940 is a massive model kit that is sure to challenge and delight the veteran model-maker.

This beauty of a model kit includes a French House/Shop, 50 German Infantry figures, a Sd. Kfz. 250/3 Tank with crew, a 8.8 cm FLAK 37 AA Gun with crew, a Matilda Mk II Tank with crew and 42 British Infantry figures.  WOW!  It boggles the mind!

Sounds complicated.  But, if you decide to purchase the model kit be not despaired.  

The concise assembly, paint and decal instructions guide you through the process and before you know it you will have an incredible WWII diorama that is sure to impress the most die-hard model maker.

Check out the photo of the diorama on the box’s cover and you can imagine the possibilities!  One day I’ll tackle such a model.  One day…..