Friday, July 14, 2017

Komet, Churchill, Claire Frost and Nutcracker





I am excited about assembling Hasegawa Hobby Kits’ 1/32 Scale Messerschmitt Me163B Komet "EJG2" Limited Edition German revolutionary rocket-powered fighter!
 
While the model kit is not especially hard to assemble I see a bit of a challenge when it comes to painting its camouflage colors.

Conceived and designed in the early 1940s the Komet has the distinction of being the only ‘operational’ rocket-powered aircraft successfully completed by the Germans.

Clocking out at an amazing 698 mph the aircraft was limited by its short flight time.  Try to imagine what the outcome of the war would have been if all 370 Komets were put into play with longer flight times and fully armed.

Conventional Allied aircraft would have been decimated.  Considering the time era the aircraft was made it was a remarkably advanced aircraft.

Somewhat bulky and short, the Komet was single pilot aircraft and if it had been outfitted with armament and bombs it would have been unstoppable.  Two decals options are available:

Luftwaffe 14./EJG2 White 54 Germany 1945
Luftwaffe 14./EJG2 White 42 Germany 1945







Following the detailed instructions I began assembling the engine assembly.

 I had a little bit of a problem with small pieces until I started using tweezers.

Glue application had to be sparse as the pieces were so small.  Still, I managed to get every part in the right place and moved onto the cockpit assembly.

A tool that I found especially handy was the ‘High Precision Diagonal Cutter’ from Hobbico.  Using it I was able to cleanly snip out pieces from the part trees and trim unnecessary flashing.  An X-Acto knife also came in handy.

I also need to note that small files or sandpaper pieces came in handy when for cleaning up the pieces.

I proceeded to assemble the skid assembly and moved on to the fuselage and cockpit-all which went together with very little adjustment.  Still, I had to be careful to match up the pieces so they fit together snuggly.

I went ahead and taped out the wings for painting and attached them to the fuselage and installed the engine.

Assembling the complete fuselage and attaching the wheels along with finishing the cockpit went smoothly although I had a little bit of difficulty fitting the front and rear fuselage together which were a tight fit.  But, once I lined them up properly they went into lace snuggly.

Placing the cockpit clear windows took a bit of doing as to not get any glue on the pieces.  A pair of tweezers came in handy.

Once I assembled the entire aircraft I noticed a few pieces that I missed-mostly from the engine compartment-nothing large-but very small.  I need to pay closer attention to the instructions next time.  It’s easy to overlook something if you don’t pay close attention.

The pieces did not affect the look of the Komet so I left the model as is.

I decided not to paint the interior of the Komet specifically because the area is so small it would be difficult to notice. 

Plus, my painting skills were not up to par and I felt I may make a mess. 
The aircraft body was another matter.

Tackling the body painting and decaling showed me that I have a lot to work on when it comes to both.

I used Italeri’s paints and application was smooth and coverage only took one coat.

I followed the paint schematics as best as possible but my coverage looked amateurish at best.  I need to study how to match colors, brush techniques and masking.

I used paint masking tape but there was still some bleed-thru.  Camouflage paint application needed more feathering and tonal variation.

Decals separated from their decal sheets easily enough with a little water.  But, as with the small model pieces, I had a little difficulty placing them.  Talk about detail!

Still, the model went together easily and if my expertise in model making was better the model would have turned out better.  I consider this a learning lesson and I already know some things I will do differently my next model kit.

The 1/72 Scale Churchill Mk.I/II & Daimler Mk.II "Dieppe Raid" (2 kits) Limited Edition two-for-one model kit is a great deal for your hard-earned cash.

Commemorating the disaster of the Battle of Dieppe Raid the model kits recreates the two key Canadian tanks left as wreckage on the beaches after the horrible defeat for the Canadian/Allied forces

Both the Churchill and Daimler tanks were medium armored vehicles not suited for a beach assault.

Each vehicle is modeled with full details from turrets, armored bodies, equipment bays, treads and tires and hatches.

Full decals are included as is a very comprehensive instruction manual which includes historical text.

For a different type of tank/armored vehicle check out the 1/35 Scale P.K.H. Nutcracker Maschinen Krieger Limited Edition.

The hover tank is all armor and armament as recreated from the original concept by artist Kow Yokoyama as part of his sci-fi series Maschinen Krieger in the early 1980s

It’s a beauty of a war weapon with heavy armor, impressive weapons and communication array, exterior details- including rails and a choice of four camouflage paint schemes.

The decal option is the Strahl Defense Force, Kampgruppe BALCK, s.Pz.Abt.503.

If you love sci-fi, futuristic weapons and one cool looking futuristic mechanism then the Nutcracker is for you.

The 1/24 Scale Wild Egg Girls Pkw.K1 Kübelwagen Type 82 "Claire Frost" w/Figure Limited Edition all-terrain German vehicle is made with an Anime/Manga twist.

The Egg Plane Girls love their The Kübelwagen even though it hailed from WWII.

Used throughout the war on many fronts the Kübelwagen had its share of advances and withdrawals

Highly reliable and versatile it was a mainstay of the German army with a production number over 50,000.

You got to love its open cabin with fold-back canvas roof, easily accessible engine and storage trunk and its heavy chassis, large wheel wells, practical design and overall cool look.

The kit features two sets of decals and Claire Frost figure.

All of the model kits feature finely crafted parts that detach easily from part trees and any extra flashing is easy to trim.

Historical and mechanical details are spot on and by using the easy to understand instructions sheets each will go together easily.  Unless of course you miss a couple pieces like did on the Komet.

Paint and decal descriptions are accurate and easy to duplicate.

Hasegawa Hobby Kits are some of the most detailed and well-crafted model kits on the market and I highly recommend them.

Next time I’ll up the ante and attempt to assemble an even more difficult model. 
Now that I’m learning several tricks of the trade, model assembly is becoming easy and less time-consuming.