Monday, November 6, 2017

Norton and ARV



This time around I will attempt to assemble Italeri’s 1/9 Scale ‘Norton 750 Commando PR’motorcycle model kit.


I’m opting out of painting or dealing the model, as my photos indicate, the Norton motorcycle model kit comes with several color-coded parts, making it much easier to assemble and identify parts.

The Norton 750 Commando PR motorcycle helped re-launch and reinvigorate the British motorcycle company’s flagging sales back in 1967.


With its parallel twin cylinder 750cc engine with two valves per cylinder, higher displacement and the tilted forward cylinders and Isolastic anti-vibration system it increased the comfort, maneuverability and ease of use tremendously over previous Norton motorcycles.


Instantly popular in Britain, and soon after all the over the world, it managed to win the coveted Motor Cycle News “Machine of the Year” award consecutively for five years.


Coveted by motorcycle enthusiasts the Commando is given high marks for its shape, fuel tank design, handlebars and back cover.


Assembly of the model begins with the engine.  Careful attention must be given to the instructions as it is very easy to mismatch parts.  Chrome parts give the engine a visual pop.


Small screws of various sizes come with the model kit.  The silver/chrome screws add to the visual look of the motorcycle.  They also can be a bit of a problem if your vision is a bit blurred like mine.


The small screws gave me a bit of a problem picking up, positioning and screwing in place.  I tried using tweezers and I still had difficulty positioning the screws.  Younger eyes and hands are definitely a must.


Here’s a solution.  Since the screws are not necessary to hold the motor and chassis together, as they are primarily decoration, glue is the primary binding agent.


I suggest buying a small bottle of silver or chrome paint.  Using a number 2 bristle brush simply take a small amount of paint on the end of the brush and where the screws would normally be placed touch the paint on the location.  Viola!  Instant screws for those visually and dexterity challenged!


I won’t tell anyone if you don’t.


The Commando model is a very precise and accurate scaled down version of the real motorcycle.  It is challenging to assemble but ultimately satisfying.


Proceeding on with the model I am determined to finish it.  But, with some assistance.


A neighbor of mine is a proficient model maker.  He’s one of those guys that makes a novice like myself look like the amateur I am.


He’s assembled some pretty impressive and complicated models including some of Italeri’s semi-truck models-talk about complicated.


I’ve come across a few roadblocks that I need to clear up before I proceed.


First, I am no mechanic.  When it comes to things mechanical, especially cars and motorcycles I am completely blind-sided.


I plan on purchasing or taking out of the library some reference books on vehicles-specifically about how they are built.  That should give me a one-up when it comes to assembling model kits.


Second, it is very obvious that I need some more precise tools, specifically manipulating tools such as small screwdrivers, pointed pliers and a good, strong magnifying glass set-up-preferably one with clips and adjustable height capabilities.


The Commando motorcycle model is a marvel of miniaturization.  I have never seen a model that has tubing, screws, moving parts, chassis, wheels and other accessories that are so precisely modeled and manufactured.


Hopefully, with some assistance and a little research I will finish the model.  I’m anxious to learn the tricks of the trade, so to speak.


I cannot emphasis enough how easy it was to identify parts, cleanly clip them from part tress and follow the instructions.


The only drawbacks are my own clumsiness, failing eyesight and lack of proper tools-all of which I plan on rectifying.  Wish me luck.

The 1/35 Scale ‘M32B1 ArmoredRecovery Vehicle’ model kit is a military model maker’s dream come true.

Talk about details--from its gluable tracks to its working crane assembly with cable the M32B1 delivers on all fronts!

Just look at the details!  Full tread assembly, pivoting turret, rear equipment storage, and an exterior bristling with equipment and towing paraphernalia, weapons, twin entry hatches and much more pile on the authentic details that duplicate the complexity of the real WWII vehicle.

Built on the hulls of existing armored vehicles the ARV recovered and repaired damaged military vehicles.

Its reinforced Chassis enabled it to lift and move damaged vehicles-even tanks!

Totally equipped to handle most repair situation the M32B1 came with a huge cache of tools and spare parts.  It could even replace a tank engine.

So versatile was the vehicle that it stayed in service after during the Korean conflict and in use in some parts of the world until the 1990s.

Three decal versions are available.